Wednesday, September 16, 2020

A Mother's Tribute to Kole and Nehemiah

Jodi Johnson is Kole's mother, and, for the last two years, was Another Mother to Nehemiah as well.

She wrote this beautiful tribute to both young men, and posted it yesterday. I can't think of anything else that would better serve to speak of their love for life, for friends, and for each other. With her permission, I post this here.

Peace be on your household - Papa Pat

**********

Kole came to me on a Sunday night in the Fall of 2002. And Kole left me on a Sunday night in the Fall of 2020. He followed his best friend, Nehemiah Pratt, to heaven after a great weekend hanging out together with their group of friends.

Kole was on his way to drop Nehemiah at home and then head home himself around 8:10 when they were struck in an intersection by a car traveling at ultra-high speeds. They passed away, together there.

Kole was my only child, just me and him, for a long time. We had a terrific life together the two of us. He was my reason for living and for working hard so we could play hard. He was my good times. When we met Jeff and became a family, Kole stretched his heart and made room for us all.

He was a loud, active, fun loving guy all his life long.

He was a fantastic athlete while he played sports. He loved children. He was better at playing and understanding children than I could ever hope to be.

Kole's passion for helping the homeless was one of his better kept secrets since he was a young kid. He would befriend folks around town panhandling, give them his shoes, buy them a meal when he had a bit of money on him. He often reminded me to do the same.

Kole loved a fairly simple life. Passionate about history and social justice, he took stands on issues and challenged me regularly. Kole helped me grow as a person in so many ways. He made me into me.

He had a hard time accepting love and he often questioned the love of those around him. But he loved those who loved him. He tested us regularly to make sure it was there. And I hope he always found it us when he sought it out.

Kole had several close friends during the chapters of his life. These past few years he had found his place in a group of friends he called “The Boys.” They spent the summer together golfing, fishing, sitting around the fire, cooking out, talking about life, and being afraid for the future. Though there were things he looked forward to about adulthood, my baby was not yet ready to grow up. He was not sure what he wanted to do with his life. But he knew he wanted to spend it with his friends. And he did.

Kole always told me he would die young. He kind of liked to razz me up by telling me he would not live past 18. He told his aunt the same and his girlfriend told me the other night he upset her with the same. But in reality, somehow Kole knew he wasn’t long for this world.

My heart has a 10-mile hole down the center of it right now. Kole brought Nehemiah into our family two years ago. Nehemiah became a son to me too. He was a loving young man with a good heart. He was quiet with a strong sense of humor who had faith in people and living and letting live. Nehemiah and I shared many cups of coffee over these past years. It was our special thing to do – make coffee and sit side by side for a little chat and reading our phones. Nehemiah valued loyalty and devotion above all else. He loved his family and he loved us. And we love him.

Kole and Nehemiah were great big brothers. They would both do anything for Sophia. And she thinks the world of them.

I am devastated to lose them both. I hoped for many good times all together in the coming years. I hoped for so much for both of them.

The greatest comfort we find right now is knowing that they had a good day with their closest friends followed by a quick death by the side of their best friend. Death is often something we each face alone. Nehemiah and Kole were so so very blessed to die with each other. G*d bless them and give them the greatest peace wrapped in our love.

Go play boys. Play and have a blast! Mama loves you both.



1 comment:

  1. From a FB post made by Jodi:
    We will celebrate Kole and Nehemiah on Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 2:00 PM at High Point Friends Meeting located at 800 Quaker Lane. During the service there will be a period of silence during which anyone is welcome to speak to what is in your heart.
    Here's the webpage for High Point Friends Meeting: http://www.highpointfriends.org/

    ReplyDelete