Friday, September 18, 2020

A minor change in travel plans

 

No, Alicia Ann is not driving.
Yet.

A week or so ago, we discovered that the reason that the air conditioning in the Suburban has gone out twice is that the compressor is busted. And to fix it,  needs a new compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube, @$602.47.

Summer is over, we don't have THAT many hot days, I don't drive the Suburban much anyway, there are plenty of other things we can do with the money, let's just put that off until spring. No problem.

Except that we REALLY don't have another car that is comfy and trustworthy for long trips. Vanessa's Toyota Corolla and Tobhiyah's Hyundai Excel are GREAT commuter cars, get there and back with no big fuel expense, but a 350 mile trip? One way? Barely doable, not preferred. The Suburban is GREAT, it's like sitting in your living room. But a trip at this time of year, with the humidity from the hurricane, and no air conditioning? Not going to end well. Sure, we used to do that all the time. But, that was because there were no options.

No problem. I've had to rent cars before when one of the vehicles was down. I got this. I'll pick up the vehicle today, we'll leave at O'Dark:30 in the morning. Nope. to my dismay, I could NOT arrange for a rental yesterday. I even went in person to Enterprise, but: no cars. 

And in checking all of the other locations, from Canton to Marietta: no cars. Maybe the internet was lying to me , but even in person, I had to put my name on a waiting list. (which bore no fruit.)

My gift-from-God, happily-ever-after trophy wife Vanessa, the elegant, foxy, praying black grandmother of Woodstock, GA, promptly skunked me when she got home from work, and got a vehicle from Avis. And I resembled a dork.

So, this morning, I drove them to Avis, conveniently located next to our Goodwill, and did the paperwork. And,  at 11:00, she and Tobhiyah climbed into a brand new Jeep Wrangler, and headed up to High Point. If you see them in your rear view mirror, I'd take the next exit, if I were you.

I stopped by the store on the way home, and bought ribs, chicken, and popsicles. Dry rub and slow roast. Comfort food.

Wish I could send some comfort food along with them. As it was, prayers and blessings were the best comfort I could provide. Would you send along some of them as well?

Peace be on your household.

No comments:

Post a Comment