Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Grey Man: Payback



Clint Eastwood. The old man has to be played by Clint Eastwood.
February 28, 2015

Five stars

This review is from: The Grey Man: Payback (Kindle Edition)

He's the old man. Not the Old Man, just the old man. And I do not understand the mechanics of this particular art at all, because every single instance of 'the old man' has "I love you" stamped all over it. Maybe it's personal. Maybe there's just something about the old man that brings back memories of my grandfather;and in that case, I wouldn't expect other reviewers to have affection for him. I've read all of the reviews, and while they praise the character, I'm not hearing them tell about how real the old man is to them.
Maybe it's how he treats his grand daughter, and his prospective son in law, and his old buddies.
But here's a clue: from the author bio:"He began his education with guns at age eight with a SAA and a Grandfather that had carried one for ‘work’."
So, maybe what I'm picking up here is the fact that JL Curtis loves the old man, because he's writing about his Grandfather. No, I don't think his grandfather had the same adventures, but if I was forced to bet on it, I'd bet that the sand-papery feel of the old man's cheeks bears a close resemblance to JL Curtis' grandfather.
It's nothing but speculation.
But: SOMETHING about the old man resonates with me, and whether it's a common experience, or a onesie just for me, I'm grateful.
And I'm grateful to Dorothy Grant for the recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment