Monday, May 29, 2023

Postcards from Foolz: Book 4 of the Postcard series.

 


This review is going to be a challenge to write, because the stories are limited to 50 words each. It’s difficult enough for me to review anthologies, for reasons detailed elsewhere, but THIS is going to really test my flexibility. 
The way I understand it, Texas authors Jonna Hayden, Cedar Sanderson, and “C. V.  Walter” (it’s a pen name for K______ B_____, but I don’t know if I’m supposed to say that) started handing out art samples at cons, with the expectation that recipients write a postcard-sized story (meaning, 50 words or less) to match the artwork. Somewhere in all this tomfoolery, they were bestowed with super-hero status (rather, their status was recognized), and they became Three Moms of the Apocalypse.
This seed for this volume was sown at FoolzCon, which presented the challenge/opportunity of distribution to folks who only had a virtual presence. The other cons were MarsCon,  Louisiana’s World Steampunk Exposition, and FantaSci, and if writing this review doesn’t kill off the desire, I’ll go back for the first three.
Since I just discovered the series (yes, I will go back for the first three), I’m likely getting some of the details wrong. 
In my opinion, the art samples given out are deliciously beautiful. As a VERY special feature, in addition to displaying the artwork for the inspired stories, five extra pictures were included, with space to write your own 50-word story. 
It’s Raconteur Press, so EXPECT radical creativity, and check often for nose-bleeds. Here are the stories:

A Matter of Some Urgency, by Jack Wylder. If you CAN’T keep up with your stuff, then either leave it at home, permanently attach it to your body, or just die in the field. 

In Memoriam, by Richard Hailey. I used a laser pointer to provoke my mom’s poodle into running head-first into the wall, when he couldn’t stop in time.

Peace of Meat, by Diana Walser. Only the bravest rulers can resist the cries of the mob demanding military action.

Fool’s Paradise, by Bethany Petersen. Never try to make a deal with supernatural beings. 

Morning Moth Mayhem, by Trey Thurber. I rode my manly motorcycle to the pawn shop to buy a laptop. They sold it to me in a Hello Kitty bag. I was all the way home before I realized why people in cars were laughing at me. 

Wight Squirrel, by Jessie Barrett. It’s not a stupid idea, if it works. Wear protective gear, anyway.

Geoffrey’s Lament, by Wally Waltner. Very few things are sadder than a former child star trying to hang on in Hollywood.

Lusty Fool, by Crystal Gayle. There’s definitely an added attraction when a hunk puts on a uniform.

Mine, by Bex May. When the story is The Lady AND The Tiger, no low-born courtier boyfriend is necessary.

A Note to the Spider That Dressed Me this Morning, by C. V. Walter. No, I LIKE the dress, I really do! It’s just that I can’t scratch my itches with it on.

She Taught Me to Dance, by John D. Martin. No one dared to cut in, because true love was in the air.

The Tenor, by Z. M. Renick. An incredible future opened, with offers for voice actor work piling up at the mailbox.

The Wizard You are Trying to Reach is Currently Unavailable, by Sara Martinez. All of my friends told stories about sneaking their father’s car out in the middle of the night. But the first time I tried it…

Cedar v. Ford, by Samuel A. Miller. Big companies have clout, but small companies can turn on a dime; you can’t teach an elephant to tap-dance.

Enlightenment, by Lee R. Anderson, Jr. You really should have just gotten off my lawn when I told you to.

Thrift Store, by Michael A. Hooten. It’s really good that trucks are so easy to rent these days.

Magic Beans, by Stephen White. All kidding aside, there are definite side effects when you prop up pole beans with a ‘34 Tula Mosin Nagant, with all matching serial numbers.

One Last Ride, by Petra Lynd. It wasn’t a betrayal of his promise to love, honor and cherish her; it was a fulfillment.

She Doesn’t Love You, by Wayne Whisnand. Every cop in the world hates a domestic disturbance call more than a bank robbery in progress.

Siege Perilous, by Ben Hunsinger. It’s your job to capture or kill; but sometimes, the fugitive does your job for you.

For Want of a Sky, by Nancy Frye. Ig you can’t see potential just over the distant horizon, this job is not for you.

Wrong Order, by Kortnee Bryant. When the Fonz showed up, everything was suddenly all right.


I hope I have managed to communicate the flavor, without spoilers. If you think I missed, kindly let me know. And also, PLEASE understand that I LOVE reading both short stories and these super-shorties; it's just that reviewing them is a challenge.
Peace be on your household.


3 comments:

  1. Didn't expect to get blurbs/back cover copy for a 50 word short story. Wow!

    ReplyDelete