Monday, August 19, 2019

2019 Dragon Award Finalist, Best SF Novel: Record Of A Spaceborn Few"



If you are running an ad blocker, nothing appears above. So, here's a little something for you:


If you want REVIEW ONLY, with no commentary, you can find that on my Goodreads review.
I also will post links to ALL my Amazon reviews in the Dragon series as the SECOND comment, and would much appreciate it if you voted on them. Amazon is slower about posting reviews these days, even when they don't put them in jail.

Greetings, Internet friends and neighbors, and a continued SPECIAL greeting to those who are following along with the month-long series of Dragon Awards book reviews: today you are going to get TWO servings, and you might just get three. And for my family who may have stumbled onto the site: Yes, my finger WAS on the trigger, but only for purposes of posing the scene. I had removed the magazine and cleared the chamber, and I verified that before each picture.

Full disclosure: as I gathered the materials for this reviewing project, the title of this book caught my eye, and I found it very difficult to postpone reading it until yesterday. I don't know exactly WHY the title hooked me so significantly; if I understood that, I'd probably start a consulting business writing titles for books. I also found that the thumbnail pic of the author spoke to me, a bit, about a person who had fun writing a book. It seemed such a contrast to a few headshots I'd encountered lately of blustery guys with beetling brows and fierce expressions, and some glam shots of vampires;  people I wouldn't ask for a lift to the next service station if I ran out of gas.

This person enjoys writing books.
(IMHO)


This is Book 3 in the Wayfarers series, and it shows. The background work in establishing the world has already been done; we are told exactly where in the story arc this book is found. It's my hope that those who prefer origin stories above all things can find them in the other installments in the series, but I confess that I cannot testify to that of my own experience.

There are a couple of points I found confusing, although I can't really say that they detracted from the presented story in any major way. The primary confusion I had was this: we have a huge exodus of humans from a worn-out planet Earth; they have spent generations in space on their voyage. The departure from Earth is referenced in a ritual followed by those who live on the ships:

We left the ground behind. We left the oceans. We left the air. We watched these things grow small. We watched them shrink into a point of light.
(Chambers, Becky. Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers) (pp. 34-35). Harper Voyager. Kindle Edition. )

This, I understand; I've read unknown stories of giant habitat-ships among the stars. What I DON'T understand is the mechanism by which the Exodans (for so they are called) maintain contact with remaining humans on Earth, on Mars, and living in other artificial environments in the Solar system.

The other issues are more trivial. I understand that there are two primary languages spoken by humans, Ensk and Klip, and that Ensk is primarily Terran in origin, while Klip is Galactic, but I wasn't able to determine how the mix began. It's easy to pick up, and is, in fact, a central story point, that humans are significantly limited in their technological prowess. It SEEMS that they gained almost all of the essential technology currently in use as a gift from more advanced species, but the nature of the technology transfer is undefined. And the ability of humans to adapt easily to different gravities (okay, accelerations!) isn't addressed. As I said, though, these are trivial.

There is one respect in which they MIGHT matter, though, and I don't have enough evidence from this single exposure to know whether it applies. With the exception of a tiny area of science fiction literature, that dealing with the intrusion of a new technology on current society, it's accepted that you can violate any ONE aspect of reality with no penalty whatsoever. That's usually some form of hyper-space, but it can vary. However, given that single violation, anything else has to be explained, or at least justified. It's all a matter of acceptable limits. Within the context of “Record of a Spaceborn Few,” I don't know how many of the technological marvels have been properly introduced. I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt, as technology transfer is a significant part of the storyline. However, if it's ALL handwavium, or even if it's ALIEN handwavium, then: ouch. 

This is a mere quibble.  

The book delivers EXACTLY what the title promises. These are the personal stories of a few individuals, told over the span of a few years. I'm not really good at paying attention to chapter headings (actually, I'm very bad at it). However, the kind author provided a subtle clue about which character's POV was going to be represented in each section, via the esoteric method of TELLING US THE NAME! (Yes, I am slow to catch on.)

The protagonists are Tessa, a materials handler and young (almost single) mother of two; Isabel, a keeper of the archives of the Exodans, and administrator of rituals; Sawyer, a young adult, orphaned on a planet, who enters life aboard the Fleet; Kip, a ship-board teen who has to fight the coming-of-age crisis in an environment he finds unreasonably limiting; Eyas, a Caretaker, the high-status professional who manages the funeral rites of the ship, including preparing the bodies of the deceased into compost, which is then returned to the soil which grows the oxygen-providing plants.  Each one is surrounded by a rich community, and it's in the interaction of these with the primaries that we really understand the tensions experienced by the humans who have fled Earth.

Without exception, the characters presented seemed very real to me, and likable. There was something about each character, other than Caretaker Eyas, that I could relate to, whether encroaching limitations of aging, the perils and joys of parenthood (& grand-parenthood), or the struggles Kip and Sawyer were facing in discovery of their place in the world. As for Eyas, her story was told with such beauty and power that I didn't feel a need to recognize myself in her. 

And now we come to the question: is this book a real contender for the 2019 Dragon Award for the Best Science Fiction of the Year?


I've already addressed the issue of whether or not a series novel has the same chance of winning the award as a stand-alone novel. My answer is ALMOST the same as before “I have no clue.” However, in this case, the book in question is not the first of a series, it's the third. And, for a mid-series work to qualify for Best Science Fiction Novel of the Year, I think the burden is SIGNIFICANTLY higher; it must tell an ENTIRE story, not just a part of one.

This is just my opinion, and you can take it or leave it: while “Record of A Spaceborn Few” is an excellent read, I just don't think it brings enough innovation to the table to warrant “Best of the Year” status. Too much depends on the other books in the series. This is NOT a criticism of what I found between the covers, because I really enjoyed the book. However, I don't find myself highly motivated to interrupt my sleep to read the other installments in the series, and frankly, I think that's exactly what a mid-series nomination for Best SF of the Year ought to do.

Having said that, it was an excellent read, and I recommend it.

Peace be on your household.

2 comments:

  1. Here's what you will pay for this book on Amazon:
    Kindle: $10.99
    Audio-book: $21.99
    Paperback: $13.11
    Hardback: $ 15.65

    Amazon reviews: 188; 4.3/5.0 stars
    Goodreads reviews:2142; 4.14/5.0 stars

    PLEASE NOTE: There is a HUGE disparity between the number of reviews on Goodreads and those on Amazon. From looking at the comments section of Goodreads, it appears the book was available as an e-ARC for two years or more before publication.Amazon doesn't let you post reviews of e-ARCs, and evidently Goodreads does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As promised, here are links to the Amazon reviews which have been published for ALL the books I'm reviewing for the 2019 Dragon Awards.
    I'll include a similar comment for all future posts.
    NOTE: Amazon publishes according to their own schedule, so the Amazon review link for THIS book doesn't appear. I'll add it as a reply to this comment, when that glad moment arrives.

    A Memory Called Empire https://www.amazon.com/review/RRSMFP5NZCI8K/
    Marine https://www.amazon.com/review/R3PDRZLCPWSI09/
    A Star-Wheeled Sky https://www.amazon.com/review/R20D306P4CG6FM/
    Machines Like Me https://www.amazon.com/review/R5W7RLV2P3V13/
    Order of the Centurion https://www.amazon.com/review/R19B5TKMVYY5TI/
    Sons of the Lion https://www.amazon.com/review/R3LA5P67EFGQ2E/
    The World Asunder https://www.amazon.com/review/R1TJ57M6WGNPBM/
    A Pale Dawn https://www.amazon.com/review/R2IZAD3SIN3TGT/
    Record of a Spaceborn Few (not yet available as of 2:11 PM 8/19

    ReplyDelete