Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Reality of Monsters

In the near future, "The Last Closet," by Moira Greyland Peat will be published. In the book, she talks about monsters. She expects to be criticized as a result of the publication.

I expect that's true.

The monsters she discusses are adults who sexualized children for their own pleasure. She speaks from her own experience. I am not strong enough to tell you her story, but if you follow this link, you can read it for yourself.

Now, you MAY be inclined to think that her story has been sensationalized; that while there may be a slight element of truth there, that NOBODY could abuse their child in such a way.

If you think that's true, you are wrong. Yes, it is rare that such monsters exist; but they do exist. I have met them. I was a middle school counselor for 16 years.

Let me give you one example of a monster I encountered: he started having sex with his oldest daughter when she was 12. When his actions were discovered, he committed suicide in the family living room. The family chose not to disclose the reason for his suicide.

I thought about listing other cases, but frankly, it's just too painful to do so. If I thought it would help, I'd do so anyway; I spent years of my life helping children in crisis, and I know what it cost me to do that, and it's a sacrifice I chose.

That's not my task today, though. I am not providing direct services to people who have been targets. Instead, I am simply lending my endorsement, for whatever it's worth, to the testimony of Moira Greyland Peat.

She has faced monsters. She escaped. And she is determined to describe what she knows to be true.

I doubt you will find her words to be pleasant and refreshing. You may wish for them to go away; resist that. Perhaps, in reading her book, you will discover a way to combat the monsters.

Peace be on your household.

No comments:

Post a Comment