Monday, August 12, 2019

2019 Dragon Award Finalist, Best Military SF: "Marine"



If you AREN'T running an ad blocker, that's the link to the book on Amazon.
But, here's something for those of you who use one (as I do):

The front cover!


Greetings, Internet friends and neighbors, and a continued SPECIAL greeting to those who are following along with the month-long series of Dragon Awards book reviews. And for my family who may have stumbled onto the site: if you have the recipe for the ice cream we had at the family reunion, I'd LOVE to get a copy. I've come close, but: not quite there.

This is the third book review, and fifth post in this series. And, as of this morning, the status report is as follows:
I am in possession of e-books for 19 of the 24 finalists
Some unknown number (but I suspect it's 5) are hard copy editions in the mail
Total number of pages TBR&R : 9785
Pages already read: 1894
Daily page-read pace needed to complete by deadline: 294.8947368

Oh, if they could ALL be as easy as today's finalist! This is “Marine,” by Joshua Dalzelle, and I started reading it last night after completing some required admin/maintenance duties. Maybe around 8:30, or so. And according to the sleep tracker on my Fitbit, I finished it in the wee hours this morning. Could NOT put it down, and I TRIED, several times, so be warned. It could happen to YOU!

I can't give you a precise timeline, but internal evidence points to a not-too-distant future. Earth has been attacked twice by aliens, and miraculously saved each time. Now Earth is a minor player in a dangerous universe, where almost every other civilization is more powerful. With some assistance from interstellar allies, the humans are trying to build a military and trade presence. The most powerful players set limits on what technology transfer is permitted.

I'm not familiar with the other works of the author, but a SLIGHT use of my Google-fu reveals that (at least) one of his prior series, “Omega Force,” provides the background to “Marine.” However, I was struck by how well the author lays the necessary foundation without seeming to do so. The only section of the book devoted to backstory is found in the Prologue, and THAT is written in the Protagonist's voice, and it comes across as HIS backstory, not that of the series. There are a LOT of ways I've seen authors bring new readers into the middle of an existing story arc, but I've never seen one I can say is superior to this.

The protagonist is a young man, going by the name of Jacob Brown. Except for the Prologue, when we meet him he is in his early 20's, enduring the rigors of the last months of humanity's premier (only) off-planet military academy. At the precise moment of introduction, he is crawling in the weeds on a recon mission; we later discover it's a field problem set for the assessment of the ability of cadets to lead small units. And it is the course of this exercise that we are SHOWN, and not told, a key bit of information about Jacob Brown:

“Satisfied with his preparations, Jacob stepped off the edge of the outcropping and dropped thirty feet to a ledge below.” (Dalzelle, Joshua. Marine (Terran Scout Fleet Book 1) (p. 9). Kindle Edition. )

It's so casually done, that I read right past it at first. Then the tickle in the back of the brain:
 “wait... 30 feet...that's the height of a three-story building... “
And it is PRECISELY with that casual, throw-away reference, that the author lets us know that there is Something About Jacob.
And he also lets us know, if we hadn't picked up on it already, that here is a guy who knows how to write. He shows, he doesn't tell.

He also doesn't leave irritating character defects ignored, until you wind up hating the people you are not supposed to hate. I grimace while reading about a character who just can't get over...whatever. While I have never used the therapeutic technique of punching someone in the face as a means of helping them become more mature, I rejoice that the author both SEES that persistent whining is an issue, and that he USES the skill-sets appropriate for the setting. I speak theoretically, of course.

I'm not enough of an academic to know whether it's true that there are only seven plots for all stories, but there IS quite a bit of familiar territory covered here. Young man making his own way, coerced to do something he doesn't want to do out of loyalty, must earn respect of comrades, overcome impossible odds, discover Injun Joe's buried treasure in a cave, slay the dragon, and close with persecutor rolling ball-bearings in hand while mumbling about strawberries. See? That's EASY! Anybody can do THAT, right?

Wrong. Any cook (or anyone with a fork) will tell you that there is a huge difference between the recipe and the cake. Dalzelle has taken the basics, treated them with all the respect they deserved, and served up something that is a delight for anyone who loves military science fiction.

That's been a TOUGH category to compete in every year since the Dragon Awards were started, and this year is no exception. I'm familiar with almost all of the authors in this category, and I'm not sure any of them are capable of mediocrity. I've only read half of the mil sf entries at this point, and I despair at the prospect of making a choice based on quality of the work. “Marine” may very well win the award.  It's POSSIBLE that the fact that this is the sole indie work on the ballot will make a  difference for some voters. But today, here's the only thing I can say about the eventual winner: they will have earned it.

Peace be on your household.

3 comments:

  1. Here's what you will pay for this book on Amazon:
    Kindle: $4.99
    Audio-book: $19.95
    Paperback: $14.99
    Hardback: N/A

    Amazon reviews: 277; 4.7/5.0 stars
    Goodreads reviews: 81; 4.41/5.0 stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could review a book as well as Papa Pat. I just finished Marine and agree it is a wonderful story. Can't wait for Boneshaker and intend to start on Omega Force shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will love Omega Force. Jacob’s dad is just the same... but turned up to 11/10... and the crew he runs with is reminiscent of Firefly (except if they were all Male and all different races). I read Marine before OF 1-10 and then inhaled that whole series. It explains why Jacob is different.

    ReplyDelete