Saturday, February 28, 2015

Stand Against The Storm

And here is Peter Grant's most recent (I think) novel, "Stand Against The Storm." I include it here, because in addition to his many other attributes, Peter had the great good wisdom to marry Dorothy, the Alaskan Sage Bush Pilot.




Stand Against The Storm (The Maxwell Saga Book 4)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars
Wonderful heroes, and awful bad guys: who could ask for more? (ummm,,,i want more...)
February 24, 2015

This review is from: Stand Against The Storm (The Maxwell Saga Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the books that I enjoyed so much, that I found myself shifting tasks, to check my email, reply to a Facebook post, and check the weather. Why? Because if I didn't do those things, I would be reading, and if I kept reading, the book would end.
Which it did, inevitably, despite my delaying tactics.
I am SO glad that he finally got rid of the jade knife! I should know by now that Peter doesn't ambush his readers, but as long as he had the knife in his possession, I was fearful it was going to be re-stolen, or lost, or broken.And that would have been awful. But, as I noted, Peter doesn't ambush his readers.
I appreciate MUCHLY the struggle Steve experiences as he looks at the risks taken by troops under his command, when the official policy is non-involvement. And I really feel for him when he is given mutually incompatible orders. However, his friendship with senior Marine NCO Kinnear, he is able to come to the moral conclusion, and discharge his duty, even though he has concluded that he will be court-martialed as a result. A career built on the bodies of dead children isn't worth having, they agree.
Without tossing in a spoiler, let me say that Steve's post-action treatment of a certain three-year old and her mother speaks volumes as to the depth of his character. Yes, he's brave. Yes, he is deadly in combat. Yes, he is brilliant at both tactical and logistical problems. Beyond that, though, he understands that little girls get afraid. and that keeping them safe is our highest priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment